Friday, January 2, 2015

2015, yet again, another new start

For the last couple days, I've been trying to think of some Earth moving, tear jerking blog to share with you guys.  Every theme from New Years Resolutions, to brand new starts, etc etc.  You know, that a-typical brand new year blog.  But one thing I realized this year as I was sitting on my couch as the clock struck 12, is that we always try to complicate every January 1st.  We make outlandish goals like "I'm gonna lose 100 pounds" or, "I'm going to start a brand new career." We don't set ourselves up for success, we set our year up to fail.

While new years resolutions are a nice place to start, I think by the middle of January, February if we're REALLY ambitious, we get caught up in life everyday we forget about what we wanted.  We make them so large and almost to the point of unattainable, our ambition is like "HELL YEAH" when that clock strikes midnight.  Maybe sometimes it's the champagne talking, but we all get caught up in the hype.  I admit it, I do the same thing! I'm all Hooah January 1st, then by Valentines Day, I'm like, fuck it all, gimme those chocolates!!!

The thing, however, I do LOVE about new years resolutions is that, for a moment in time, we're selfish! We think about what we want, what we need and disregard the rest of the world! It's a moment in time that we really are true to ourselves, and that is where we should start.

With those thoughts in mind, rather than setting any resolutions this year, I am going into this January with two thoughts:
          1. I want to be a better person:  This means keep up with my exercise routine, keep eating healthy. It also means I am going to be a better friend, a better soldier, a better me. Each day it'll be a battle, but I'm prepared to litter my apartment with cheesy signs and motivational crap, a constant reminder of who I want to be.
          2. Live in the moment:  As the clock struck midnight, I was sitting next to a guy who I REALLY like. Before, I'd worry, gee, are we gonna celebrate Valentines Day together too?? How about next Christmas? I'm SOOO guilty of this, planning my life three months in advance. I forget about the here and now. Sometimes you have to plan, yes, but as in moments like that midnight, I realized, even if Valentines Day or Christmas doesn't happen, this moment, right now, is perfect. I'm not going to worry what my life holds that far ahead, rather realize that each moment I celebrate with special people in my life, is a blessing. It's a moment I won't get back and I'm going to soak it in.

Happy 2015 everyone.  I hope this year brings SO many blessings for you all.  I hope you realize that each day is special, whether you mess up on your diet or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment